Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Permanent Damage - End of Innocence (1987, Reactor Records)


When I first heard "End of Innocence" by Permanent Damage, I didn't really like it. You see, I had sought them out on the grounds that they were "Australian hardcore," which brings to my mind the grainy, muddy speediness of bands like Nailed Down, Heist and Rupture (and in a more modern sense, Extortion). This was reinforced by the ugly (but not poorly made) prison tattoo style cover art. I was wrong. A few things stuck out to me:

1) The production was really clear. This doesn't sound like it was recorded in a basement on a pocket lint budget. This worked against my assumptions, and effectively tricked me into thinking it was "overproduced."
2) This isn't super fast. It has speed, but nothing here is really that Negative FX/Siege influenced the way the Australian bands I listed before were, aside from maybe the song "Stress."
3) The lead guitarwork is refined to the point where anyone expecting the dirty, ragged playing of Rupture and the likes will be thrown through a loop.

Fast forward a few weeks. I'm jamming the Wrecking Crew LP and it finishes and I figure I might as well give this another try. By the middle of the first song, I have a realization that I had been completely wrong about this album. The "Australian" tag had thrown me off. But this transcends those arbitrary classifications: These dudes took aggressive 80's riffs and pieced them together with the precision and intent of a metal band. "Age of Quarrel" is the best point of reference - Listen to the breakdowns in "Don't Have a Say" and "Sniff Your Defeat." And the full production definitely compliments the skilled guitar work and songwriting on display here, from the change-ups to the mid-tempo stompers. For the most part, these aren't insanely complex songs... But your average shitty punk band couldn't make them sound as good as this. And that is what I think of as the true measure of a hardcore classic.

Since my vinyl ripping capabilities are impaired, I am using the rip of this album provided by SystemSabotageChaos (only the LP tracks, I don't have the 7" and will never upload music I don't personally own), but took PNGs of the crucial insert and back cover that you won't find elsewhere. When I get my hands on a scanner, these will be replaced.

Permanent Damage - End of Innocence


The best band that ever wore Crocodile Dundee hats. Definitely better than Big Audio Dynamite.


Your band is allowed to include a one sheet on your record insert if it details how your singer "had a brick cowardly thrown into his face." Permanent Damage were truly hard as fuck.

7 comments:

  1. No problem at all. Added your blog to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey mate, if you ever get hold of a scanner and get a clearer shot of the band picture, reckon you could give me a shout? It's for MA:

    http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Permanent_Damage/3540338226

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am Danny drummer for Permanent Damage, Also Ex Depression drummer, Also Drummer for Rue Morgue I formed with Les and Paul from Vicious Circle. As drummer / guitarist. I wrote approx 5 songs and lyrics on this album. I also co-wrote some songs with Peter Young Guitarist. And many did Sang & Lyrics remainder songs were done by Matt Rhythm and Lyrics Manny. The Album sold for around $12. Its amazing to see many of these sites and Ebay selling our record for $30 +. When the band has NOT ever seen a red cent. All songs are Copyright and Registered through APRA. Australasian Performing Right Association. Its NOT about the money. Its about people making money. Equals the Band has sales and royalty Rights. While you make a profit off the backs and hard work of the Band & Artists. These sites have been copied and scene printed. I will be sending this info to the Australian Arts Law Center. Anyone who has any questions or issues with that? Can contact me on danny.xavier@gmail.com And we can Talk. If I do not get a reply I will proceed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohh and thanks for the mp3 downloads as I only ever had it on Vinyl. On the download. I noticed 9th Track Showdown was not included in the download. Want to send me it Please? If these sites are legit and honest. So be it. No issues. But who are they purchasing these records off? And who is the money going to? Because somebody is getting it at $30 a pop. And we haven't seen any of it. Thank You Very Much. Regards Danny. ANTI-WAR = PEACE. But just for the Record. For all of all the above band names mentioned. We were compared to? We were NOT Like Any Of Them. We Were Permanent Damage. Our Own Style And Our Own Song. Personally the Oroginal Permanent Damage. I'm Not Spoilt Single? I think was a Punk Classic. That was with Jenk Drummer. Spike from the band Depressions Brother. He, Jenk was an awesome drummer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohh and thanks for the mp3 downloads as I only ever had it on Vinyl. On the download. I noticed 9th Track Showdown was not included in the download. Want to send me it Please? If these sites are legit and honest. So be it. No issues. But who are they purchasing these records off? And who is the money going to? Because somebody is getting it at $30 a pop. And we haven't seen any of it. Thank You Very Much. Regards Danny. ANTI-WAR = PEACE. But just for the Record. For all of all the above band names mentioned. We were compared to? We were NOT Like Any Of Them. We Were Permanent Damage. Our Own Style And Our Own Sound. Personally the original Permanent Damage. I'm Not Spoilt Single? I think was a Punk Classic. That was with Jenk Drummer. Spike from the band Depressions Brother. He, Jenk was an awesome drummer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohh and thanks for the mp3 downloads as I only ever had it on Vinyl. On the download. I noticed 9th Track Showdown was not included in the download. Want to send me it Please? If these sites are legit and honest. So be it. No issues. But who are they purchasing these records off? And who is the money going to? Because somebody is getting it at $30 a pop. And we haven't seen any of it. Thank You Very Much. Regards Danny. ANTI-WAR = PEACE. But just for the Record. For all of all the above band names mentioned. We were compared to? We were NOT Like Any Of Them. We Were Permanent Damage. Our Own Style And Our Own Sound. Personally the original Permanent Damage. I'm Not Spoilt Single? I think was a Punk Classic. That was with Jenk Drummer. Spike from the band Depressions Brother. He, Jenk was an awesome drummer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ohh and thanks for the mp3 downloads as I only ever had it on Vinyl. On the download. I noticed 9th Track Showdown was not included in the download. Want to send me it Please? If these sites are legit and honest. So be it. No issues. But who are they purchasing these records off? And who is the money going to? Because somebody is getting it at $30 a pop. And we haven't seen any of it. Thank You Very Much. Regards Danny. ANTI-WAR = PEACE. But just for the Record. For all of all the above band names mentioned. We were compared to? We were NOT Like Any Of Them. We Were Permanent Damage. Our Own Style And Our Own Song. Personally the Oroginal Permanent Damage. I'm Not Spoilt Single? I think was a Punk Classic. That was with Jenk Drummer. Spike from the band Depressions Brother. He, Jenk was an awesome drummer.

    ReplyDelete